For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, October 13, 2016

pages of white, blue, grey and stitch








My obsession with pages and artist books continues in fact now this one is finished I may be compelled to start another one. This one is ''white'' focused, collages of white paper, embroidery on white cloth, clear beads. There are a few bluey grey beads too, they compliment white I think. I made a short video, a show and tell of this one and it's now in the shop. 
I was asked last time how I could bear to part with these. If I begin something with a view to selling it I don't usually get ''emotionally attached''. It does happen occasionally, I can't part with some things regardless of their initial purpose.... but not very often. Also, I have lots and lots and lots of these....artist books, ledgers created using story books, huge research sketchbooks.......swatches everywhere, professionally mounted samples, three zip up portfolios under my bed crammed with design work....every now and then I need to display a little self control and not add to the pile.


No comments: